Reefs, Rainforest & Ruins
A Multi-Sport Cultural Combination
Can't decide whether to spend a week paddling on the reef or do an overland trip? You can do it all! Spend 10 days sampling Mayan Ruins, the rainforests of Pico Bonito National Park and our tropical garden island base out on the second largest barrier reef in the World. You can enjoy hiking, birding, gentle river and sea kayaking, hot springs, tropical reef snorkeling, coffee plantation and whitewater rafting…all in one trip of a lifetime.
Your trip begins in San Pedro Sula, the business center of Honduras, which receives direct flights from Houston, Miami and Atlanta every day. From here we travel overland to Copan, home of the southern most cardinal point of the Mayan World. The ruins, the brick streets and the mountainous backdrop of the Guatemalan border will entrance you.
The next stage of your journey will take you across the entire country to the highest mountain of Honduras, Pico Bonito, rising over 8000 ft. straight up from sea level near coastal La Ceiba. This is excellent habitat for nearly 200 species of birds, many feline species including Ocelots and Margays and the magnificent butterfly, the Blue Morpho. Enjoy hikes to incredible cascading waterfalls to swim in the pools beneath and whitewater rafting the beautiful Rio Congrejal.
Next we travel from La Ceiba via high-speed catamaran to Roatan to explore from our ocean front garden base. We'll day trip to small cayes, mangroves, white sand beaches and numerous reefs to learn to snorkel right out of your kayak. You can enjoy hiking jungle trails, paddle all day and return at night to clean sheets and a comfortable bed. Our tropical fruit farm base has comfortable island style casitas with shared screen porches and hot water showers. Meals are served with an ocean view on the deck from the central kitchen.
- Day 1 Arrival—Arrive SAP early afternoon, travel overland to Copan via private van, overnight at Casa De Café.
Day 2 — Morning trip to the Museum of Copan, afternoon through the ruins, evening dinner stroll through small brick streets. Overnight at
Casa De Café
- Day 3 — Morning trip to the tropical bird park/coffee plantation followed by trip to Aguas Caliente ( hot springs). Dinner by lamplight overlooking the Ruins at our friend Flavia’s Hacienda. Overnight at Casa de Café.
- Day 4 — Departure via van for Pico Bonito/coastal rainforest area (6 hours) with a stop in Tela (Garifuna village). Overnight at Omega lodge in Pico Bonito National Park’s “Buffer zone”.
- Day 5 — Morning Class III/IV paddle raft trip down the Rio Congrejal with side hike up El Bejuco waterfall pool. Afternoon visit to the women’s handi-crafts co-op.
- Day 6—Your choice of a gentle kayak trip to Cacao Lagoon for brackish water ecosystem critters and mangroves or a horse-trek on the beach. Ease into the late afternoon relaxing in the hammock with a cold beverage. Overnight at Omega lodge.
- Day 7 —Morning ferry over from La Ceiba to Roatan and then overland to our Punta Blanca garden base. Lunch, sea kayak orientation and a little time to settle in and relax watching the sea or snorkeling.
- Day 8-9 —Each day will bring us something new, with flexible plans being made to fit the weather conditions and our desires. Our day trips may take us to mangrove channels, out to the Pigeon Cayes, snorkeling on coral reefs, fishing, learning to brace, roll and surf in 80 degree water, visiting with the locals in Helene village (check out Orwil's pet Tarpon) or just hang in the hammock and watch the hummingbirds. Enjoy terrific seafood feasts each night and sleep in the comfort of simple bedrooms in our seaside casitas. Hey, how bad can that be?
- Day 10 —Morning transfer back to the airport for flights home from Roatan. Oddly, this is an easy flight reservation to make on your choice of 3 airlines.
Dates for 2012
- $2695 per person based on double occupancy.
single supplement applies to those who want to ensure a private room; (Normal double occupancy price applies to those willing to share quarters in a room with two beds.)
- Price Includes: all land costs: (rooms, meals, guides, kayaks, activities, local transport), except airport tax and gratuities. Deposit of $500 for reservation required, fully refundable until 45 days of departure. Balance is due at 45 days prior to departure.